English life hacks
Have you decided to embark on the fun journey of learning English? In the following article, we’d like to share a few facts and “life hacks” that will hopefully inspire you even more.
- One billion! One billion is the number of people who speak English around the world. That means in every corner of the world there’s someone who speaks or at least understands some English.
- English is easy. Next time someone tells you that English is hard, ask them to list all the German articles or say “What’s up?” in Chinese! It might have been quite hard before (have a look at Old and Middle varieties of English), but today, having relatively simple and logical grammar, it requires a minimum of words to be able to start communicating.
- If you decided to commit yourself in an IT-related occupation, you should know that the main language used in this line of business is English. Business correspondence, virtual communication, customer interviews, assessment processes, daily stand-ups, all are performed in English.
- “To have another language is to possess a second soul» once Charlemagne said. Indeed, by learning new language you don’t just add some more grammatical patterns and vocabulary to your memory, but discover a whole new world: new cultures, new experiences, new horizons. Very few experiences will make you grow as a person more than learning the values, habits, and way of life in a culture that is different from yours.
- Learning a new language is a big commitment. You have to realize that this is a long-term goal which requires a lot effort and diligence to become successful. No one hits the gym with an expectation of getting beefy right the next day.
- Some people come up with a “perfect” excuse for not studying English which is “there isn’t English environment for me to start speaking English”. Absurd! Never have technological advances enabled us to develop our language skills before like now. Mobile apps, social networks, media are all at your disposal.
- Watching movies and series in English with subtitles can greatly benefit your learning, in addition, you’ll get familiar with the naturally spoken version of English.
- Learning vocabulary is a very important part of learning a language. The more words you know, the more you will be able to understand what you hear and read; and the better you will be able to say what you want to when speaking or writing. But never learn complicated words without some context. You are more likely to remember that “magenta is the color of your sister’s favorite backpack” that just the lonely “magenta”.
- Since English is spoken in so many different countries there are thousands of companies and universities around the world that can offer you various opportunities to work and study. Traveling the world will be not a difficulty but rather joy and pleasure.
- Finally, never give up halfway. Sometimes it might be hard, strange and boring, but these are not good reasons to quit. Try changing the activity – instead of reading, listen to some podcast or watch an episode of your favorite sitcom. Find yourself a mentor or a friend who’d be willing to accompany you on your path to the perfect command of English.
Best of luck!
English Instructor - EPAM Systems